Re: Insert more than one t-uple in a single sql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Insert more than one t-uple in a single sql
Date
List pgsql-general
>> You can't do that in postgres, sorry. That's a mysql-ism.
>>
>> Gonzalo Villegas wrote:
>>
>>> It must be something like
>>> insert into table (field1,field2,...) values (v1,v2,...),(b1,b2,...),
>>> (c1,c2,...)

Actually, that's not a mysql-ism, it's SQL-spec syntax.  We haven't got
round to implementing it, partly because the SELECT ... UNION ALL ...
syntax provides a perfectly good substitute.  It is on the TODO list
though.

I wouldn't recommend trying to insert more than a few dozen rows with
the UNION ALL approach, else the planner overhead might swamp any
savings.  If you want to insert thousands of rows at once, you almost
certainly want to find a way to use COPY.

            regards, tom lane