Re: ODBC and crypted passwords - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ODBC and crypted passwords
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Henk van Lingen <henkvl@cs.uu.nl> writes:
> I'm playing with the ODBC driver (which works fine) but I like passwords
> to travel encrypted, which is not supported at the moment.

> Is there any work being done on this? The TODO says (in 1998) that the
> priority is low. Why is that?

I think that just means that Bryan doesn't care about it very much ;-).
If you do, step right up and submit a patch.  The way things work around
here is that tasks get done when someone is motivated enough to do them.

> Is there something which makes a 'crypt' implementation hard?

I imagine the problem is that he doesn't want to depend on the 'crypt'
library, which is standard on Unixen but not (AFAIK) on Windows.
Otherwise it'd be easy to transpose libpq's code into the odbc driver.
(OTOH, I believe there are ports of libpq for Windows, so maybe crypt()
is available there?  Anyone know?)
        regards, tom lane