Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
mmoncure@gmail.com ("Merlin Moncure") writes:
> On 8/2/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>> Pardon me for being the contrarian, but why does a server need a
>> GUI?  Isn't that just extra RAM & CPU overhead that could be more
>> profitably put to use powering the application?
>
> A server with a GUI sitting on a login screen is wasting zero
> resources.  Some enterprise management tools are in java which
> require a GUI to use so there is very little downside to installing
> X, so IMO a lightweight window manager is appropriate...a full gnome
> is maybe overkill.  Obviously, you want to turn of the 3d screen
> saver :-)

The server does not need the overhead of having *any* of the "X
desktop" things running; it doesn't even need an X server.

You don't need X running on the server in order use those "enterprise
management" tools; indeed, in a "lights out" environment, that server
hasn't even got a graphics card, which means that an X server *can't*
be running on it.
--
"cbbrowne","@","linuxfinances.info"
http://linuxfinances.info/info/x.html