Re: Help! - Slony-I - saving/setting/restoring GUC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Help! - Slony-I - saving/setting/restoring GUC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
> Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
>> Unfortunately (perhaps) standards_conforming_strings does not appear
>> to be exported, so I'm not sure how to do this otherwise.
>
> Perhaps your problem is one of spelling?  It's
> "standard_conforming_strings", and it's certainly a global variable.
>
> You still haven't explained why you need this, though.  There are
> no datatype output functions that examine this variable.

Apologies.  I was reading too much into the problem report.

After some discussion on IRC, I think we've "simplified" things back
to what the problem is.

Our logtrigger() function is already applying a "non-SCS" policy to
quote backslashes.  No need to declare anything there, as had been the
case with a recent DateStyle issue.

With DateStyle, we had to control the style in two places:1.  In logtrigger(), when PostgreSQL is asked to generate the
  string version of a datestamp.  We do so by temporarily    setting DateStyle.2.  When loading data, we need to make
surethe connection    uses a consistent DateStyle.  We do so by setting the GUC    variable using SET.

I was under the misapprehension that we needed something akin to that
step 1; apparently we only need worry about step 2.  To which Peter's
suggestion is entirely sufficient.

Sorry about the confusion.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;