Re: Response from MySql AB (Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Response from MySql AB (Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs.
Date
List pgsql-general
scrappy@postgresql.org ("Marc G. Fournier") writes:
> my personal question is how well any of this would even stand up in
> a court of law, or how would you enforce it?

If you get a threatening letter in the mail with all sorts of legal
verbiage such that you have to pay for a lawyer to interpret it,
that's going to cause a bunch of Loss of Sleep, Fear, Uncertainty, and
Doubt.

And consider: with the separation of duties, what is likely to happen
in many places is that the letter is likely to go to the corporate
Legal Department who will get all flustered and paranoid, and call
managers, who will also get all flustered and paranoid.

Paying "commercial licensing fees" will do a nice job of unflustering
them, albeit at the cost of demonstrating that it isn't "free
software" in any conceivable sense of the term...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "libertyrms.info")
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>