Re: UltraSPARC versus AMD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: UltraSPARC versus AMD
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com writes:
> I just got done comparing SPECMarks (on spec.org) between Sun's AMD entry
> level servers versus similarly configured UltraSPARCs versus desktop AMD
> based machines.  Sun's AMD machines are twice as fast as their UItraSPARCs,
> for approximately the same price.  What a hoot.

It's not surprising.

The "interesting" efforts that Sun has been putting into CPUs lately
have gone into the new "Niagara" thing which isn't going into low end
UltraSPARCs.

AMD has gotten a lot of the ex-Digital folk, and ex-Alpha
technologies, and has been able to get that stuff into lower priced
systems, from whence is what we can see...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html