Re: select with recursive support - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: select with recursive support
Date
List pgsql-general
Sascha Bohnenkamp <asbohnenkamp@gmx.de> writes:
>> I saw on the todo list that the "with recursive" option for selects
>> (equivalent to oracle's connect by, as far as I know) is on the todo
>> list for postgresql, but apparently not for the upcoming 8.3 release.
> the postgresql derivate enterprisedb has this feature
> (exactly the oracle syntax)

What is intended for PostgreSQL is decidedly NOT the "Oracle syntax"
(which more or less predetermines a special case of recursion), but
rather the "WITH [definition] select [which can reference
[definition]]" approach seen both in DB2 and the SQL 2003 standard.

There have been a couple of abortive starts to this; I seem to recall
someone having offered to work on it in the 8.4 branch.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'linuxfinances.info';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/oses.html