Re: embeding postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: embeding postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
twosk@interia.pl ("twosk") writes:
> I have a question, because i cannot find any information in online docs
> (maybe i'm just blind :P).
> I'm want to build application with embedded database, but i also need a
> possibility to have one global database, which can be accessed from internet
> (ability to synchronize between remote and local/embedded database). I heard
> from somone that i could use PostgreSQL, but I cannot find any information
> that confirms or denies it. And one more thing, i'm interested only in free
> solution ;).

When people come looking to run PostgreSQL as an 'embedded library,'
embedded inside the application process, they generally get rebuffed,
as this heads in exactly the opposite direction to the design of
PostgreSQL.

It _is_ possible to run PostgreSQL in a "somewhat embedded" mode,
where you embed _control_ over that database fairly deeply into your
application.  It runs as a separate process, which would mean you
would retain various capabilities for "network" access.

But few have gotten really interested in that; we usually have other
"fish to fry."

You would presumably need to explain in more detail what you intend,
although there is a concommittant danger that you may specify your own
implementation assumptions as requirements, and prevent there from
being answers.

Be prepared to say "Here's what I anticipate," and risk being
contradicted :-).
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spiritual.html