Re: get rid of psql welcome message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
sfrost@snowman.net (Stephen Frost) writes:
> * Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net) wrote:
>> Around <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-01/msg00089.php> it
>> was proposed to truncate the psql welcome screen.  What do you think about
>> that?
>
> I'd recommend an option in .psqlrc to disable it, if possible.  That
> would be in line with what alot of other "splash-screen" type things do.

Shorten:

Welcome to psql 8.1.9 (server 8.1.8), the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help with psql commands      \g
orterminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

psql 8.1.9 (server 8.1.8) - PostgreSQL interactive terminal
Type: \h for SQL help, \? for psql help, \q to quit

which removes 3/4 of the "bloat," whilst only losing info about
\copyright and \g.

That's close enough to an 80% improvement for me.

That *would* be a big win in doing cut'n'paste of psql sessions, and
while the experienced user may not care about \h, \?, and \q, I'd miss
getting the version information.

There's enough room still there, by the way, that one might cleverly
add in the port number without forcing the addition of an extra line,
which could be useful material, even in a cut'n'paste...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "linuxfinances.info")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html