Re: Cheap RAM disk? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Cheap RAM disk?
Date
List pgsql-performance
jwbaker@acm.org ("Jeffrey W. Baker") writes:
> I haven't tried this product, but the microbenchmarks seem truly
> slow.  I think you would get a similar benefit by simply sticking a
> 1GB or 2GB DIMM -- battery-backed, of course -- in your RAID
> controller.

Well, the microbenchmarks were pretty pre-sophomoric, essentially
trying to express how the device would be useful to a Windows user
that *might* play games...

I'm sure it's hurt by the fact that it's using a SATA ("version 1")
interface rather than something faster.

Mind you, I'd like to see the product succeed, because they might come
up with a "version 2" of it that is what I'd really like...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html