Re: inserting huge file into bytea cause out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: inserting huge file into bytea cause out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 6 Srpen 2013, 9:12, liuyuanyuan wrote:
> Error detail:
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Error: out of memory
>   Details:Failed on request of size 268443660.

Seems like an issue with the OS, not with PostgreSQL, to me.

What OS and HW are you using? How much memory you have and do you have
some user limits in place? For example Linux uses ulimit and some kernel
parameters to limit how much memory can be allocated by a process.

Try this as postgres (or the user you run the database as):

   ulimit -v

and as root

   sysctl.overcommit_memory

These are the

What limits do you have in place options that bite me most often.

Tomas