Re: A simple way to Create type ...? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: A simple way to Create type ...?
Date
List pgsql-sql
oneway_111@yahoo.com (ow) writes:
> I had a look at "create type" docs and it seems somewhat complex, involving
> creation of functions and etc. I hope there's a simpler way for the following:
>
> How should one declare a new custom type, say, "AddressType" that corresponds
> internally to "varchar(50)". In other words, all columns that are assigned
> "AddressType" would internally be "varchar(50)".
>
> Example:
> create type AddressType ... -- how to do it in a simple way?
>
> create table ADDRESS
> {
>   address_id      int           not null,
>   street_address1 AdressType    not null,
>   street_address2 AdressType    not null,
> )

CREATE TYPE is intended to do something a whole lot more
sophisticated than you want.

What you want instead is CREATE DOMAIN.

flexreg=# create domain addresstype varchar(50);
CREATE DOMAIN
flexreg=# create table address ( address_id integer not null, street1 addresstype not null, street2 addresstype);
CREATE TABLE
flexreg=# \d address       Table "public.address"  Column   |    Type     | Modifiers

--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html