Re: Migrating MySQL app to postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Migrating MySQL app to postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
rshepard@appl-ecosys.com (Rich Shepard) writes:
>    I need (and want) contact managment software for marketing/sales
> tracking in my business. The only linux app I can find that does the
> job is SugarCRM.  However, they use mysql as their backend.
>
>    Might it be relatively easy for me to change the code so it will
> work with postgres? What's involved?

It generally starts with seeing if the code has nonportable bits, such
as queries that are "MySQL SQL" that aren't really SQL.

If there's a lot of that, you'll need to do some rewriting; how tough
that will be will depend on how deeply the application logic depends
on MySQL's logic.

If the vendor has done a great deal of work to tune their application
to the way MySQL works, then this will be a seriously irritating
chore.

That's something we have seen with RT/3; it was initially written for
MySQL, and the requirement of continuing compatibility means that the
authors are unable to accept the sorts of SQL changes that lead to
some queries running hundreds of times faster because the jump to
better use of SQL would break operability with MySQL.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html