Re: User postgres unable to revoke privileges? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: User postgres unable to revoke privileges?
Date
List pgsql-general
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Beausoleil?= <francois@teksol.info> writes:
> regress=# ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR ROLE dataanalysts IN SCHEMA public REVOKE SELECT ON TABLES FROM dataanalysts;
> ERROR:  permission denied for schema public

> I'm logged in as postgres, the database superuser. Why am I getting a permission denied?

I suspect you already revoked public CREATE privilege in schema public.
Note where the fine manual says:

schema_name
    The name of an existing schema. Each target_role must have CREATE privileges for each specified schema.

There was some debate previously about whether that restriction was a
good idea at all; and given this example, it seems like we definitely
shouldn't require it during a REVOKE.

            regards, tom lane