Re: About reindexing system indexes... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: About reindexing system indexes...
Date
List pgsql-general
kleptog@svana.org (Martijn van Oosterhout) writes:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 05:15:08PM -0800, Tim Vadnais wrote:
>> I tried to rebuild the two indexes and got the following error.  The
>> optional FORCE has no effect on the output.
>>
>> bwks=# reindex index pg_database_oid_index;
>> ERROR:  shared index "pg_database_oid_index" can only be reindexed in
>> stand-alone mode
>
> How difficult would it be for the system to notice this and tag the
> index as "to be reindexed". Then, the next time the system is started
> up, it can reindexed before starting to accept connections.
>
> It would at least simplify the help in this case to "restart the server
> to do the reindexing".

Part of me wants to ask for the feature:

  "On restart, always re-index all system tables..."

There are, alas, pathological cases where that wouldn't turn out
well...
--
"cbbrowne","@","ca.afilias.info"
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>