Re: MS-SQL<->Postgres sync - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: MS-SQL<->Postgres sync
Date
List pgsql-sql
smarlowe@g2switchworks.com (Scott Marlowe) writes:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 11:25, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 11:27:52AM -0400, Kevin Bednar wrote:
>> > Looking to keep 2 databases in sync, at least semi-realtime if possible,
>> > although running a batch update every x mins wouldn't be out of the
>> > question. One db is postgres and the other is ms-sql. It's to keep inventory
>> > in sync from 2 seperate locations, one being a brick and mortar store and
>> > the other an ecommerce system for a web site. Any and all help is
>> > appreciated since I can't find much of anything on syncing these 2 database
>> > systems!
>>
>> I don't think there's actually any product that does this right now,
>> unless you're willing to use some sort of statement replica system
>> (which means you have to deal with failures in one database and not
>> another).  Is the idea that this is multi-master?
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to write a set of triggers for MSSQL
> that would allow you to run slony daemons that connected to it and a
> postgresql server and did replication.   Just mad scientisting for a
> second.

Someone went through the "mental gyrations" and figured it ought to be
able to work for Oracle...

It otta be able to work; the only thing is that I would think the only
nodes that could be origins would be PostgreSQL nodes, because the way
the data extraction scheme works is very much attuned to PostgreSQL's
MVCC model...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html