Re: Proposed changes to DTrace probe implementation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposed changes to DTrace probe implementation
Date
Re: Proposed changes to DTrace probe implementation  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@Sun.COM> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm unconvinced that there will be any probes that are common to all
>> databases.  I'd skip this part...
>>
> Any reason why we can't consider probes like transaction-start,
> transaction-commit, or transaction-abort as common probes that can also
> be used in other (maybe no all) databases?

I'm unimpressed; it's not at all clear that you'd be measuring quite the
same thing in, say, mysql as in postgres.

Possibly I have a different view of the uses of dtrace than you do, but
most of the events I'd be interested in probing are probably pretty
Postgres-specific.  I think distinguishing half a dozen of them on the
assumption that there should be (exact) matches to that probe point in
most databases is misleading and a source of useless extra notation.