Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From C. Bensend
Subject Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hey folks,

   I'm running 7.3.5 on an OpenBSD 3.5-STABLE machine, with 512M of RAM.
I'm running VACUUM ANALYZE every hour, with a VACUUM FULL once per night
before backups.

   I'm trying to speed up the VACCUMs, so I tried bumping up vacuum_mem
in postgresql.conf from the default to 64M.  This resulted in:

ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(somenumber)

(where somenumber was not written down by me, sorry)

   I understand what happened, but not exactly why - this machine is
running with over 300M of RAM unused.  Bumping this value down to 16M
works fine.  But why does it hit a memory exhausted error at 64M?

   Please let me know if this belongs on pgsql-performance - I'm getting
an actual error, so I'm hoping this is the right place.  If not, I'll
join the other and post there.

Thanks much!

Benny

--
Funniest spam subject: "The mighty cucumber lives again!"
                                                  -- Received Aug 31, 2004