Re: FATAL ERROR - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FATAL ERROR
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Michael Roth" <MichaelRoth@schmuecker.de> writes:
> Sometimes we got the following error-message:
> PostgresSQL query failed: FATAL 1: Socket command type 2 unknown

Curious.  This seems to indicate that the backend has gotten out of sync
with the client, and is trying to interpret some data out of the middle
of a message as the start of a fresh command message.  We used to have
some bugs that would let that happen occasionally, but I thought they'd
all been fixed as of 7.0.*.  It would be useful to try to track down
what happens just before this message appears.  Could you run with query
logging enabled (start postmaster with -d2, and make sure its stderr
output goes somewhere useful)?

> PSQL-Version: 7.0.2

I'd advise upgrading to 7.0.3 (or even 7.1.2, but 7.0.3 would be a
painless update).  There are some nasty bugs fixed as of 7.0.3.
I don't think any of them explain this problem ... but I might be wrong.

            regards, tom lane