Re: [SQL] pqReadData... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SQL] pqReadData...
Date
List pgsql-sql
gav <gav@nlr.ru> writes:
> I have the database created with the postgresql 6.5.3. I make many
> inserts (10-30 thousands) in one of tables in one transaction.
> Sometimes I receive the error:

> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
>        This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
>        before or while processing the request

> What is it? Is this a bug?

It's a bug, but we'll need a lot more info than that to fix it.
For example: what were the last few commands you issued before
the crash?  Is there anything in the postmaster log file?
(6.5.* libpq has a bad habit of dropping backend error messages
if the channel is closed immediately after the message arrives.
So if the backend reports a FATAL error and quits, the above is
all you see.  But the FATAL message ought to be logged in the
postmaster log file.)  Is there a core dump file from the failed
backend?  (It'd be in .../data/base/yourdatabasename/core)  If
so, can you use gdb to get a backtrace from the core file?

            regards, tom lane