Re: PostgreSQL certifications? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: PostgreSQL certifications?
Date
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL certifications?
Re: PostgreSQL certifications?
List pgsql-advocacy
cool_screen_name90001@yahoo.com (CSN) writes:
> Just curious - are there any PostgreSQL
> certifications, or plans for them? I ask because I
> just became aware of two for mysql:
>
> http://vue.com/mysql/
> http://www.mysql.com/certification/

A while back, PostgreSQL Inc had some involvement with building
something of a "skills evaluation" test.

But it isn't totally evident how this is _Truly Useful_.

Certification historically has three characteristics that considered
valuable:

 1.  They provide a way of extracting money from would-be advocates.

     Which is obviously beneficial for MySQL AB.

 2.  After someone has spent $400 on a MySQL certification, they'll
     doubtless be a fan of getting some kind of value out of it.

 3.  In the Oracle market, if you have a certification, it may prove
     easier to get a job, because employers go out looking for OCP
     certifications.

Until there is a job market that's active enough that you can see
dozens of PG jobs listed that need to be filled, I can't see a
certification being of vast practical value.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>