Re: PostgreSQL certifications? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL certifications?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
You usually have a good grasp of PHB thinking, so I'm surprised to see
you post this. In todays job markets PHB and PHR (pointy haired
recruiters) tend to have little to no knowledge about technical issues,
so they rely on "certifications" to decide who has technical
qualifications.  And while your right that there isn't much market for
PostgreSQL DBA's, if one were vying for a php/perl/java/c/c++ programmer
position, the ability to put on a resume that you are a "certified
/somedatabase/ administrator" obviously benefits. Especially if you're a
person who knows enough about postgresql that you could administer it,
even though your primary position might be an application developer. (I
used to work with just such a person).  PHB/PHR types love
certifications, and if your skill is in postgresql, you need a
postgresql certification.

(Admittedly this doesn't solve the logistical problem of coming up with
a certification, but that doesn't belie the benefits of having one)