Re: Adding support for SE-Linux security - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Adding support for SE-Linux security
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> As Alvaro mentioned, the original patch used ACE but it added too much
> code so the community requested its removal from the patch.  It could be
> re-added if we have a need.

Well, there's no point in putting that framework back in unless we can
make it sufficiently general that it could be used to serve the needs
of more than one security model.  And so far, the signs have not been
promising.  David Quigley suggests downthread that making a truly
general model isn't really possible, and he may be right, or not.  I
was just mentioning that it's an angle I have been thinking about
investigating, but it may be a dead end.

The real issue is making the code committable, and then maintaining
it, as Tom rightly says, forever.  We've got to make sure that we're
willing to take that on before we do it, and I don't think it's a
small task.  It isn't so much whether we want the feature as whether
the level of effort is proportionate to the benefit.

...Robert