Re: operator exclusion constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: operator exclusion constraints
Date
Re: operator exclusion constraints  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 19:00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm starting to go through this patch now.  I thought the consensus
>> was to refer to them as just "exclusion constraints"?  I'm not seeing
>> that the word "operator" really adds anything.
>
> I assume you're referring to the name used in documentation and error
> messages. I didn't see a clear consensus, but the relevant thread is
> here:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1258227283.708.108.camel@jdavis
>
> "Exclusion Constraints" is fine with me, as are the other options listed
> in that email.

Yeah, I don't remember any such consensus either, but it's not a dumb
name.  I have been idly wondering throughout this process whether we
should try to pick a name that conveys the fact that these constraints
are inextricably tied to the opclass/index machinery - but I'm not
sure it's possible to really give that flavor in a short phrase, or
that it's actually important to do so.  IOW... "whatever".  :-)

...Robert