Re: BUG #5131: The pgsql will lost - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: BUG #5131: The pgsql will lost
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM, aihongwei <ufo008ahw@163.com> wrote:

> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A05131
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0aihongwei
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0ufo008ahw@163.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0
> Operating system: =A0 linux x86_64
> Details:
>
> In x86_64 platform,
> I input command "ulimit -s 2048" to limit the stack size.Then I startup t=
he
> server,and when i do some recursion operation, the pgsql will lost in some
> time.
> It seems that The stack_max_depth does work.
>
> example:
> CREATE FUNCTION infinite_recurse() returns int as
> 'select infinite_recurse()' language sql;
> select infinite_recurse();

*scratches head*

Well, you haven't really told us what happens when you do this.  Does
it hang up forever?  How long did you wait?  Does it crash?

The default value for max_stack_depth (NOT stack_max_depth) seems to
be 2MB, so setting the system limit to the same value seems like a bad
idea.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/runtime-config-resource.=
html#GUC-MAX-STACK-DEPTH

...Robert