Re: BUG #5066: plperl issues with perl_destruct() and END blocks - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: BUG #5066: plperl issues with perl_destruct() and END blocks
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> David Fetter escribi=F3:
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 01:06:17PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> > The fine manual saith
>> >
>> > =A0 =A0 You may have multiple "END" blocks within a file--they will
>> > =A0 =A0 execute in reverse order of definition; that is: last in, first
>> > =A0 =A0 out (LIFO).
>> >
>> > But then, why would we care? =A0We just call the destructor and Perl
>> > ensures that the blocks are called in the right order.
>>
>> This is not quite what I meant. =A0Let's say we have two or more differe=
nt
>> PL/Perl functions executed over the course of a backend. =A0Which one's
>> END block gets executed last?
>
> I think the manual is quite clear on this point. =A0It talks about "files"
> which we don't have, but other than that it doesn't seem like there
> shouldn't be any problem.
>
> Now that I think about it, this only affects loaded modules, not the
> plperl functions themselves, right? =A0I mean, you can't define an END
> block inside a function.

You might think that, but it turns out the world of Perl is crazier
than the ordinary mind can fathom.

$ perl -e 'sub foo { END { print "hi\n" } }'
hi

...Robert