Re: COPY enhancements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: COPY enhancements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The biggest problem I have with this change is that it's going to
>> massively break anyone who is using the existing COPY syntax.
>
> Why?  We'd certainly still support the old syntax for existing options,
> just as we did with EXPLAIN.

None of the syntax proposals upthread had that property, which doesn't
mean we can't do it.  However, we'd need some way to differentiate the
old syntax from the new one. I guess we could throw an unnecessary set
of parentheses around the option list (blech), but you have to be able
to tell from the first token which kind of list you're reading if you
want to support both sets of syntax.

...Robert