Re: COPY enhancements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: COPY enhancements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Another approach would be to generalize what is allowable as an
>> optional parameter to include a parenthesized column list, but I don't
>> really think that has a lot to recommend it.
>
> Well, maybe it's worth doing.  If you believe that somebody might think
> of a new per-column COPY behavior in the future, then the same issue is
> going to come up again.

I can't immediately think of one, but I wouldn't bet against someone
else dreaming one up.

The biggest problem I have with this change is that it's going to
massively break anyone who is using the existing COPY syntax.  Really
simple examples might be OK (like if they're using 0 or 1 options),
but more complex things are going to just break.  How much do we care
about that?

...Robert