Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Therefore: I think, 3CFs, but we go all-out to get Standby/Replication
> into 8.5 in the next month.  So, every committer/major hacker on this
> list should pitch in to get those features done.
>
> So, is there someone here who could be helping with HS/SR and isn't?
> Why not?

Unfortunately, neither Simon nor Fujii Masao is publishing a git
repository of their work or regular updates to their patch set.
Therefore, no one else can contribute code, and in fact no one else
can even provide a review, because there is nothing to look at.  I
don't think that there would be any problem getting these patches
reviewed/committed outside of the regular CommitFest cycle, but
there's simply no place to start.

I have volunteered to work on Hot Standby and have merged it up to CVS
HEAD several times, and cleaned out a bit of other cruft, but the
scope of the task appears to exceed the time I have available.  It
seems to me that other people could clone my git repo (or that branch)
and submit patches against it (or ask me to pull from a branch that
they publish), but will Simon incorporate those patches (assuming that
they don't suck) into his next version, or ignore them?  It's not
really clear.

As I've said before, I am presently of the opinion that Streaming
Replication has little chance of making it into 8.5.  This opinion is
vulnerable to contrary evidence, like a new version of the patch
showing up that shows massive progress.  But the patch was bounced
from CF 2009-07 for a whole series of architectural problems which
have to be addressed before we can even get to implementation details,
bugs, documentation, etc.  Hot Standby is in better shape but amount
of code cleanup needed is substantial and there is also quite a bit of
'git diff master | grep XXX' that needs to be gone through.

...Robert