Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
Re: 8.5 release timetable, again  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: 8.5 release timetable, again  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
All,

> Yeah, conference-based releases is just a proxy for time-based
> releases. It's nice to have something to be happy about at the
> conference too. And it's a convenient time to start talking about the
> next release when you're all face-to-face.

On the one hand:

I'd say that we go for the 3-CF release.  I think we need to prove that
we can do a time-based release once before a lot of people on this list
will believe in it.

If we do 4 CFs, we're in danger of still being in beta in late May ...
and once conference and vacation season start, things get a lot slower.Mind you, it's possible that we can shorten the
finalCF and beta this

time, but I wouldn't want to count on it.

If we *can* shorten them, then 8.6 can have 4CFs.  But we won't know
until after we've done it.

On the other hand:

I think if we do another release without Standby/replication, we'll
start to lose a lot of users.  People are waiting on that, and a lot of
folks were expecting it in 8.4.

Therefore: I think, 3CFs, but we go all-out to get Standby/Replication
into 8.5 in the next month.  So, every committer/major hacker on this
list should pitch in to get those features done.

So, is there someone here who could be helping with HS/SR and isn't?
Why not?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.