Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> As I've said before, I am presently of the opinion that Streaming
> Replication has little chance of making it into 8.5.  This opinion is
> vulnerable to contrary evidence, like a new version of the patch
> showing up that shows massive progress.  But the patch was bounced
> from CF 2009-07 for a whole series of architectural problems which
> have to be addressed before we can even get to implementation details,
> bugs, documentation, etc.  Hot Standby is in better shape but amount
> of code cleanup needed is substantial and there is also quite a bit of
> 'git diff master | grep XXX' that needs to be gone through.

I agree.  I think it is unlikely we will have anything ready to commit
for Streaming Replication or Hot Standby for the next commit-fest in
mid-September, and if we go for a 3-CF (commit fest) release, that gives
us only one final CF to get those features accepted, again unlikely.  We
are either going to need to go to a 4-CF release, change the way we are
developing these patches, or both to get either in 8.5.

http://enterprisedb.com