Re: explain root element for auto-explain - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: explain root element for auto-explain
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>

>>> Updated version with more complete information (regression crash was due
>>> to my bad script).
>>>

>> I took a look through the source code to match it against this.  I found
>> that you missed a couple of possibilities: we have <Notify /> and
>> <Utility-Statement /> as alternatives to <Query> just below <explain>.
>>

> What causes those to happen? Here's how I mangled the regression tests to
> produce the output that this analysis was taken from:
>
>   perl -spi.bak -e 's/^(insert|update|select|delete|declare|execute|create
> table .* as) /explain (analyse true, verbose true, format xml) $1 /i;' *.sql

CREATE RULE foo_notify AS ON UPDATE TO foo DO ALSO NOTIFY bob;

I am not sure that there's any way to get any other kind of utility
statement in there; I think that's just a safety valve in case someone
changes the rule mechanism and forgets to update EXPLAIN.

...Robert