Re: machine-readable explain output v4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: machine-readable explain output v4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Well, of course the existing tests are not going to exercise XML or
> JSON output format.  Dunno how much we care.  I had supposed that
> XML or JSON would always emit all the fields and leave it to the
> recipient to suppress what they don't want.  If we want to have
> platform-independent regression tests then we'd need to make the
> COSTS option effective for XML/JSON format --- do we want that?

Well, as I've said many, many times on these threads, I feel strongly
that the choice of output format shouldn't for the most part affect
the information which is displayed.  Output format should be an
option, and the information to display should be an option, and the
two should be, as far as possible, separate.  So what you're
suggesting is the way it works now.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg00879.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg00916.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg00917.php