Re: dependencies for generated header files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: dependencies for generated header files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Peter Eisentraut<peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On Sunday 28 June 2009 21:21:35 Robert Haas wrote:
>>> I think that our dependencies for generated header files (gram.h,
>>> fmgroids.h, probes.h) are not as good as they could be.  What we do
>>> right now is make src/backend/Makefile rebuild these before recursing
>>> through its subdirectories.  This works OK for a top-level make, but
>>> if you run make further down in the tree (like under
>>> src/backend/commands) it won't necessarily rebuild everything that it
>>> should.
>>>
>>> The attached patch moves some of this logic from src/backend/Makefile
>>> to src/Makefile.global.in.
>>
>> Have you tried putting them in src/backend/common.mk?  That might be a better
>> place.
>
> No, I haven't.  I can look at that at some point, but I'm a bit backed
> up right now.

[ looks ]

Is it conceivable that there might be a dependency on one of the
generated header files from someplace in src other than src/backend?
If so, it seems like that might be an argument for leaving it as I had
it.

...Robert