Re: Managing multiple branches in git - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Andres Freund escribió:
>
>> git clone --reference common_repo
>> + small
>> + staying small
>> + fast
>> + windows supported
>> +- push/fetch needed
>> - possibly unsecure if you delete from the master repository - which one
>> can easily prevent
>>
>> git clone --shared
>> Essentially the same as the last above
>
> I think these are the two usable options.  They will probably end up

...wait a minute.   I just went and Googled this git-new-workdir thing
and it looks like it's almost exactly what we need.  According to the
docs, it lets you share the same local repository between multiple
working copies, so all the commits are shared but the index is
separate for each working directory.  Assuming it works, that sounds
just about perfect for Tom's use case, since it would allow
cherry-picking of commits without an intervening push/pull cycle.  Did
you have some reason for passing over that as one of the usable
options?

...Robert