Re: Any better plan for this query?.. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Any better plan for this query?..
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Dimitri <dimitrik.fr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, what I'm testing now is 256 users max. The workload is growing
> progressively from 1, 2, 4, 8 ... to 256 users. Of course the Max
> throughput is reached on the number of users equal to 2 * number of
> cores, but what's important for me here - database should continue to
> keep the workload! - response time regressing, but the troughput
> should remain near the same.
>
> So, do I really need a pooler to keep 256 users working??  - I don't
> think so, but please, correct me.

Not an expert on this, but there has been a lot of discussion of the
importance of connection pooling in this space.  Is MySQL still faster
if you lower max_connections to a value that is closer to the number
of users, like 400 rather than 2000?

> BTW, I did not look to put PostgreSQL in bad conditions - the test is
> the test, and as I said 2 years ago PostgreSQL outperformed MySQL on
> the same test case, and there was nothing done within MySQL code to
> improve it explicitly for db_STRESS.. And I'm staying pretty honest
> when I'm testing something.

Yeah but it's not really clear what that something is.  I believe you
said upthread that PG 8.4 beta 1 is faster than PG 8.3.7, but PG 8.4
beta 1 is slower than MySQL 5.4 whereas PG 8.3.7 was faster than some
older version of MySQL.  So PG got faster and MySQL got faster, but
they sped things up more than we did.  If our performance were getting
WORSE, I'd be worried about that, but the fact that they were able to
make more improvement on this particular case than we were doesn't
excite me very much.  Sure, I'd love it if PG were even faster than it
is, and if you have a suggested patch please send it in...  or if you
want to profile it and send the results that would be great too.  But
I guess my point is that the case of a very large number of
simultaneous users with pauses-for-thought between queries has already
been looked at in the very recent past in a way that's very similar to
what you are doing (and by someone who works at the same company you
do, no less!) so I'm not quite sure why we're rehashing the issue.

...Robert