Re: Immediate shutdown and system(3) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Immediate shutdown and system(3)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>> The CVS commit message.
>
>> Is there some reason we don't just put it in the release notes as
>> *part* of the commit?  Someone can always go back and edit it later.
>
> That was suggested before, and I think we actually tried it for a few
> months.  It didn't work.
>
> Putting an item in the release notes *properly* is a whole lot more
> work than putting a short bit of text in the CVS log (especially for
> committers whose first language isn't English).  It would also
> create a lot more merge-collision issues for unrelated patches.

Yeah, I wouldn't ask people to include it in the patches they post.
That would be a pain, and people would probably tend (with the best of
intentions) to inflate the relative importance of their own work.  I
was thinking that the committer could make a quick entry at the time
they actually committed the patch, so that the step you describe below
could start with something other than an email box.

> It's less trouble overall to do the editing, organizing, and SGML-ifying
> of all the release notes at once.  Also you end up with a better
> product, assuming that whoever is doing the notes puts in reasonable
> editorial effort.

If it works for the people who are doing it, good enough.

...Robert