Re: Immediate shutdown and system(3) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Immediate shutdown and system(3)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> The CVS commit message.

> Is there some reason we don't just put it in the release notes as
> *part* of the commit?  Someone can always go back and edit it later.

That was suggested before, and I think we actually tried it for a few
months.  It didn't work.

Putting an item in the release notes *properly* is a whole lot more
work than putting a short bit of text in the CVS log (especially for
committers whose first language isn't English).  It would also
create a lot more merge-collision issues for unrelated patches.

It's less trouble overall to do the editing, organizing, and SGML-ifying
of all the release notes at once.  Also you end up with a better
product, assuming that whoever is doing the notes puts in reasonable
editorial effort.