Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> On the other hand, I want to look at and search my user-defined
>> functions FREQUENTLY.  I don't care about the system functions.  If I
>> type \df a*, it's not because I want to see all 6 versions of the
>> absolute value function and 61 other functions, it's because I don't
>> want to think hard enough to remember how I spelled the first word in
>> one of my functions that I know starts with "a".
>
> Well, maybe we do need to go with the \df \dfS \dfU approach.
> But I'm still convinced that setting things up so that it's impossible
> to search both classes of functions together is a seriously bad idea.

I agree - that's one thing that's definitely weird about the new
behavior.  Of course, we've had this problem with \dt for a while, but
it is somewhat masked by the fact that \d (without t) behaves
differently (which seems totally strange too, come to think about it).I think maybe we should make \dt, \df, etc. show
userobjects, \dtS,

\dfS, etc. show system objects and pick some other glyph to mean
"everything".  \dfA, \df!, I don't care what it is...

...Robert