Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> I was thinking that the ADD COLUMN should specify the new result list
>> entry.
>
> Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  If you needed to change more
> than just the topmost SELECT list, you'd need two steps: an ADD COLUMN
> and then CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW to change the query in some way that
> doesn't result in changing the output column set.  Maybe that's going
> to be too awkward to use though.

To me, that sounds less useful than simply being able to make changes
via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW, but it's not an either/or proposition, and
I suspect that it's significantly more complicated to implement than
the patch I submitted.

...Robert