Re: Why pg_hba not in table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Why pg_hba not in table?
Date
List pgsql-general
jason.leach@gmail.com ("Jason C. Leach") writes:
> Why not put pg_hba.conf in a pg table?  Seems like it would be much
> easier to work with.  After all, if we can keep users in the db
> tables, why not this?

... Because it represents information that needs to be accessed
*before* a connection to the database is established.

This is the configuration that determines whether or not a DB
connection is permitted.  If we store the information in a table, then
the connection has to be accepted in order to determine if the
connection should be accepted.

As things stand, pg_hba.conf will reject many of the cases without
needing to burden the database engine with another connection.

If connections are required, then:

a) There are presumably some new race conditions for vulnerabilities
that come available;

b) A new DOS attack is introduced.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';