Re: read this and puke - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: read this and puke
Date
Re: read this and puke  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Re: read this and puke  (Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>)
List pgsql-general
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:
> "LAMP" is just one of those stupid things that happens on the open
> source world: one product becomes "the one" and everything else
> gets ignored.

Not only in open source.  Remember Betamax?  Technically a better
standard than VHS, but it died anyway because it couldn't get enough
market share.  We should worry about the prospect that MySQL will
achieve such complete mindshare dominance that no other open source
database project remains viable.

Great Bridge did a good job of marketing Postgres while they were
around.  Red Hat has not picked up the ball at all :-(

            regards, tom lane