Re: [GENERAL] pg_restore to a port where nobody is listening? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_restore to a port where nobody is listening?
Date
List pgsql-general
Daniel Westermann <daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> writes:
> postgres@pgbox:/home/postgres/ [PG961] pg_restore -h localhost -p 5439 -F d -C -j 2 /var/tmp/exp/

> This runs fine but where does it connect to? Nothing is listening on port 5439.

Given the lack of a -d switch, I'd expect it not to try to connect
anywhere, just emit the restore script on stdout.  At least, that's
what happens for me.  It's weird that you don't see any printout.

(To be clear: it's -d that triggers a connection attempt in pg_restore.
Without that, -h and -p are just noise.)

            regards, tom lane