Re: refactoring - share str2*int64 functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: refactoring - share str2*int64 functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Jul 16, 2019, at 3:30 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
>>> Cool.  I'm not exactly sure when we should include 'pg_' in identifier
>>> names.

>> I added the pg_ prefix as a poor man's namespace because the function can be used by external tools (eg contribs),
soas to avoid potential name conflicts.

> Yeah, I think if we are going to expose it to front end code there is a good argument for some kind of prefix that
makesit sound PostgreSQL-related.

Yeah, I'd tend to err in favor of including "pg_".  We might get away
without that as long as the name is never exposed to non-PG code, but
for stuff that's going into src/common/ or src/port/ I think that's
a risky assumption to make.

I'm also in agreement with Michael's comments in
<20190716071144.GF1439@paquier.xyz> that this would be a good time
to bring some consistency to the naming of related functions.