Different location or different instance

From: Gabriele Bartolini
Subject: Different location or different instance
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Hi guys,

    I have 2 big databases on the same system. They are logically not
connected, separate.

    I want to keep them separate. Do you think it is better to use the same
PostgreSQL server using a different location (on different disks) for each
one of them, or a separate PostgreSQL server for each of them, listening to
different ports and with data dirs residing on two different disks?

    I have a dual Pentium 4 1Ghz with 1.5 GB RAM and 6 36GB SCSI disks (160
Ultra) on a 3 RAID 1 pairs configuration.

    Thank you (sorry I am in a hurry and did not have time to look properly
in the mailing list archive - please forgive me).

Ciao,
-Gabriele
--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, ht://Dig & IWA/HWG Member, ht://Check
maintainer
 | http://www.prato.linux.it/~gbartolini | ICQ#129221447
 > "Leave every hope, ye who enter!", Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy, The
Inferno