Re: from PG_DUMP to CVS - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: from PG_DUMP to CVS
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 02:02 AM 28/08/2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>some-dbname/some-schema/TABLES/sometable.sql
>some-dbname/some-schema/VIEWS/someview.sql
>some-dbname/some-schema/FUNCTIONS/somefunction-param{codes}.sql
>some-dbname/some-schema/TYPES/sometype.sql
>some-dbname/some-schema/OPERATORS/OPsomeoperator.sql
>
>In this last, all dependant objects of, for example, a table (rules,
>triggers,
>indexes, etc. ) would be rolled up into one file.  It's this last version
>that I personally favor.

Not sure I like it from the PoV of easily seeing what has changed.

Similarly:

>some-dbname/some-schema/TABLES/sometable/create.sql
>some-dbname/some-schema/TABLES/sometable/indexes.sql
>some-dbname/some-schema/TABLES/sometable/constraints.sql

combines all indexes into one file. It also has the disadvantage if being
impossible to construct from an existing dump file.

I'd like to be able to construct the structure from the information stored
in a dump file, without parsing SQL. OTOH, it might be nice to add some
more information to the dump file.

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /