Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From B. van Ouwerkerk
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
SNIP

> > Many of these subjects already *are* covered in the Tutorial.  Just
> > looking in the 7.4 table of contents, I see
> >
> > 3. Advanced Features
> >      3.1. Introduction
> >      3.3. Foreign Keys
> >      3.4. Transactions
> >      3.5. Inheritance
> >      3.6. Conclusion
> >
> > The discussions are skimpy and could use fleshed out a little, no doubt.
> > (Anyone who wants to contribute material is surely welcome to.)

SNIP

>This concerns me.  This is the second time recently someone has said something
>is NOT documented and it it turn out it is.
>
>So my question is (no offense to anyone) are the web sites not "clear"
>enough to
>find information quickly or are people just being lax/lazy when they are
>searching.

No offence.. but..

Not clear enough? Not sure. What I do think is that some pages do not go
into greater detail where they could and imo should.

I have presented this before as an example. If you install PG you're
supposed to create a user postgres but nobody writes about what shell that
user needs and even if that user is supposed to have a shell at all..
homedir etc?? dunno..
Another example? alright, data types. I found a very helpful list at the
website but I didn't see the limitations per type (maximum lenght like
MySQL says varchar max 255), or is it hidden somewhere on the PG website?.

While working on PG with PHP I noticed several warnings and notices. The PG
docs did mention all of them but not if they are good or bad so the hunting
continues via google.
FWIW, if you feed the message to the PG search it doesn't return anything.

It would certainly help if the docs would clarify if something is good or bad.

Some messages ago I saw someone writing about something like "this is the
manual not handholding". IMO there is a difference between a well written
and complete manual and handholding.
Having said that, I realise it's a lot of work to keep good documentation
into synch with development..

If find the search on Postgresql.org slow and not always very logical, but
I think that has been said before..

B.