Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ericson Smith
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
List pgsql-general
Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>Once you know where to look for stuff it isn't that hard to find things.

Yes, but what happens where you don't know where to look for stuff?

>This is one of the advantages of reading through the whole manual once
>to get an idea of whats there.

Sure, but who has time to read through a whole manual first? No system I
ever learned had me do that.

>When I need to look things up for Postgres I use a local copy of the web
>based documentation.

A good idea. But If you work for different locations (home, client's
office, office), then that becomes redundant. Besides I would be
responsible for syncing the manual from PG to each location. Besides, a
local copy would not usually have a search engine built in.

>I don't like this. It will make scrolling through a group of related
>functions harder. Name anchors can be used to allow links directly to
>functions.

Nope. I disagree with this one. It makes finding stuff easier if you
type "nextval()" into a search engine, and it takes you directly to the
nextval page.

>Do you see these two points as applying to only the copy of the
>documentation on the Postgres web site, or do you see this being distributed
>either with the database (as the current documentation is) or as
>a separate item (like some of the clients are)?

In this case, documentation on the website should always be primary.
Almost anyone working on modern software is always connected to the
internet. A static copy of the interactive documentation can always be
distributed with the software. But do many people even refer to the
included documentation? To be honest, I dont. The documentation in psql
(eg: \h COPY) is as far as i'll go, the next step in the main site, or
google. Why rely on documentation on your hard disk that will get out of
date soon anyway?

- Ericson Smith

Attachment