Porting Code to Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Errol Neal
Subject Porting Code to Postgresql
Date
Re: Porting Code to Postgresql  (Ryan Mahoney <ryan@paymentalliance.net>)
Re: Porting Code to Postgresql  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

Not sure if this is a question for a php list or this one, but I'll give it
a shot and
if I am wrong, please do not crucify me. :-)

There is a php based sourceforge project called mailwatch.
(http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/mailwatch) It logs data from the excellent
Mailscanner security product into a mysql database. Now, I am not a php
programmer,
and I am barely a Postgres DBA, but I would really like to port the code to
Postgresql.
I have my trust Postgresql Book which covers the API for Postgresql and the
PHP statements
used for Postgresql seem almost identical to those used for Mysql. I
understand that there are
some slight differences in the data types supported by Mysql and
Postgresql, however are the differences
between the two Databases and API's that great to make task impossible for
an unexperienced person
such as myself? We currently use Postgresql in conjunction with sendmail to
store our access, mailertable
and other db's, so it would be very convenient for us to achieve this.

Best Regards,

Errol U. Neal