Re: self referencing tables/ nested sets etc... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Manfred Koizar
Subject Re: self referencing tables/ nested sets etc...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:56:35 +0100, Rob Hoopman <rob@tuna.nl> wrote:
>> > It appears that when adding more than 48 sub nodes
>> >to any node in the tree, craps out because of an INT8 column overflowing.
>>
>> AFAICS it doesn't depend on the number of siblings, but it fails when
>> the sum of the numbers in dotted path notation exceeds 62.
>>
>Maybe, but some of the intermediate steps are larger than the number that gets
>stored in the end. Actually that's where this implementation broke for me.

Rob, do you still have the functions and the data that led to the
overflow?  If so, would you care to locate the parent of the node you
failed to insert and this parent's last child.  Then please post the
output of

    SELECT pk, numer, denom, path(numer, denom)
          FROM yourtable
         WHERE pk = 'parentpk' OR pk = 'childpk';

I'd like to find out whether OMPM is flawed or my theory about it.

Thanks.
Servus
 Manfred